Wednesday 10 November 2021

COP26 - Day 5 - Preston to Penrith

This was the day which I was dreading. So much so that I had a train ticket for the journey and was calling day 5 an unofficial rest day (no-one had to ride the entire route, you could sign up for just one day if you wanted, I signed up for them all and then binned this one in my head).

I had bought this ticket in advance of leaving London and told everyone about the easy journey they could have (I was saying 54 minutes but some trains were quicker) rather than hours of effort. Several people agreed and bought train tickets.

This was the organiser's plan for the day (probably made by someone young and fit). Apparently 64 year olds can cope with it.

Love the humour, 'the real riding begins' my two previous longest ever days just being a little warm up.

Last year, during LEJOG, I cycled in this area but at a dawdle by comparison, my three days in this area being from Manchester Airport to Whalley to Borwick to Penrith which you can go back and read here. Basically, the 2021 plan was to do in one day what took me 2 last year.


The night before Avanti sent this advice

and then on Day 5 itself Avanti cancelled the 11:41 as this early morning WhatsApp confirms.


Decision time. What do you do when you think you may have trouble getting yourself & your bicycle onto a train and the roads are possibly flooded? yes, you start cycling! It was 7:17 and I had to get ready (must have a shower etc) get a hearty cooked breakfast, cycle to the start to dump my bag and set off. All done by 8:29

Dr Bike was at the start fixing any problems that you might have.



Was it wet out? Rather. This is Devils Bridge which has a plaque forbidding you from jumping off, would be rather stupid given the obvious number of large rocks.

Having changed my plan and decided to cycle (there was emergency backup which would have done its best to recover us if water levels rose to high) I started cycling and it was necessary to go for it if I was to stand any chance of arriving by the time it was dark (I had lights) as it isn't as much fun. My usual riding companion had managed to find another train and before long was luxuriating in the bar at the hotel in Penrith and sending out lovely pictures of a warm room and a hot drink.

Each morning the Abel and Cole van swallowed our overnight bags which made cycling each day much easier and each evening they were ready and waiting at the finish.

The people behind the lovely lunchtime catering.
The catering location in a small village, such a welcome sight.
Despite the mist, we had lovely views, just not much time to admire them.

All cyclists and organisers mixed happily at every location and as soon as lunch was done were readily giving up their space so that others, still eating, could sit (we had been for 4 hours already). I took my large cake with me to finish it off outside.

This tunnel was hidden right in front of me. I was tired by then, daylight had gone and I searched in the bushes and on a gated footpath for an exit before turning around and finding the obvious. If less tired, after 8 solid hours of pedalling, I might have interpreted the information on my Wahoo device a little better.
These tunnel photos were taken by one of the two official photographers who stood out in the dark and cold for hours capturing us all and saying encouraging words such as, only one and a half miles to the finish. Even with 100+ of us to keep tabs on they had by now learnt my name.
Finally, back together, the Barnet posse inside Woodstone Pizza and Flame Grill that evening, carbohydrate loading with pizza or pasta, all excellent so well worth eating there. The waitress was amazed and fascinated by our trip, as to be fair were most people we met. We think we have persuaded quite a few folks to get out on their bikes more often.

So? how was my day. It was epic and awesome. Here is the Strava record.


I went from thinking the task too large (worrying about being wet, cold and out in the dark) to deciding at an early hour of the day to just get on with it. I set off, for me, like the clappers. Penny & Salim were taking a leisurely cup of tea & cake in Lancaster and saw me go past (I didn't even see their bikes) and reported to the posse on our WhatsApp group


I just kept going. Penny & Salim caught up with me at the lunch stop (more cake) but then didn't see me again until the end of the day even though they were quicker overall. We were lucky, we had a tail wind which contributed to me doing 40mph over the tops of the hills but on three of the steepest (and Shap Fell isn't trivial) I had to get off and push (I do this when it is quicker to walk than to cycle). It wasn't just me, lots of people were getting off and pushing. Other than at stops I think I spent 90% of the day on my own which was OK by me, my route my speed.

It transpired that I am tougher than I think. I did twice the climbing of the previous day and went 14% further whilst at the same time going 7% faster, which makes no real sense. It tells me that I should probably cycle faster all of the time but one is worried about bonking (no sniggering at the back) which is a technical term for having hypoglycemia, best avoided especially when the plan is to cycle for 8 hours or more.

My cycling rules are simple. Big breakfast, morning coffe & cake, big lunch, afternoon tea & cake, oat bars, fruit, juice, just keeping stuffing it in. I have gone from 14st 10lb to 13st 12lb in October whilst training for and doing this ride. Much of it will go back on in winter but long trips are already planned for the spring of 2022.

Remember where I started on 26 March 2020 when lockdown legally came into force. A short cycle ride that day (c. 10km) and then one every day until the end of June followed by Land's End to John O'Groats. You don't have to be like me. You could cycle to work, to your friends, to the station, to the shops, to the pub, to anywhere. Just give it a go, you don't know where you'll end up, maybe even John O'Groats.

It is better for your physical and mental health. You will be better known locally and you'll have a better time socially than stuck in your car plus you'll save money and help the planet.

What are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment